Mattresses, Pillows and Sheets
Want to achieve the ideal bedroom for better sleep? The first step is purchasing the proper sleep surface and accompaniments.
Having a suitable place to lie down at the end of the day is more important than you may think. Sleeping on a quality mattress that fits you and your sleep habits can help you feel more energized. However, sleeping on a mattress that is old or doesn’t offer you the right amount of comfort and support can lead to health problems like backaches and sleep deprivation.
Learn more about mattress types and how to choose the right mattress for you in the Mattresses and More section.
The variety of pillows may seem overwhelming, but they all serve one purpose: to support your head and neck to keep them level with your shoulders and spine as you sleep. Your sleep position should dictate what kind of pillow you choose:
- Firm pillows – best if you sleep on your side
- Medium-firm pillows – best if you sleep on your back
- Soft pillows – best if you sleep on your stomach
Learn more about pillows and pillow types in the Mattresses and More section.
While they may seem unimportant to your sleep experience, the right sheets can lead to better sleep. First, make sure you’re buying sheets that are the right size for your mattress. Sheets that don’t fit your mattress are likely to tear. Next, figure out which kind of sheets are right for you:
- Cotton sheets are very popular. There are many different kinds, including the soft, luxurious Egyptian cotton. 100% cotton sheets are breathable and tend to keep a cool temperature.
- Silk sheets are soft and smooth. They retain heat easily, so they are better used for cooler nights.
- Flannel is warm and great for cool climates and cold weather. Flannel sheets are measured in ounces, with the heavier weights meaning higher quality.
- Synthetics like polyester are often less breathable, but also less expensive.
Once you have found the perfect set of sheets, take care of them. Change and wash your sheets weekly and replace them as they start to appear worn.