Choosing the Best Mattress
How to Date a Mattress
Follow these simple suggestions for how to select the mattress of your dreams!
- Dollars and sense. Before you research your mattress options, determine your budget and consider your personal needs. A mattress is an investment in your health and well-being.
- Do your homework. Research your options before you go to a store, narrowing down the mattress size and mattress type that suits your individual needs. Think back to a time when you had an amazing sleep at a hotel or friend’s house. Use that as your starting point to help narrow down choices.
- Store selection. Furniture stores, department stores, sleep specialty shops and online retailers all sell mattresses. Look for a retailer that provides you with the amount of information and attention you need. If you don’t know where to shop, ask friends and family for suggestions.
- Rely on a pro. Work with knowledgeable salespeople who can guide you through your bedding choices. Ask questions and look for detailed explanations when needed. If you don’t feel your salesperson is knowledgeable or helpful, take your business elsewhere.
- Go for a test drive. Once you’ve found a few mattresses you’re interested in, try them out using the S.L.E.E.P. test. Take off your shoes and lie down in various positions. (It’s best to go mattress shopping in comfortable pants so you can move around.)
- Get comfy. While testing out a mattress, spend extra time in the position you usually sleep in. It can take up to 15 minutes to relax enough to feel the true support of a mattress, so don’t rush it. The more time you take in a store, the less likely you’ll have buyer’s remorse later on.
Take the S.L.E.E.P. Test
To try out a mattress, follow the S.L.E.E.P. steps:
Select a mattress.
Lie down in your typical sleep position.
Evaluate the level of comfort and support.
Educate yourself about each selection.
Partners should test beds together.
Take the confusion out of mattress shopping
This straight talk about mattress shopping will help you make good decisions.
Comparison shopping secrets
Comparison shopping for a mattress can help you make the best choice and feel confident in your decision. As you’re shopping, take time to really consider each mattress type – both the feel and the construction – versus simply comparing one brand to another.
- Look inside. Ask the salesperson if they can show you illustrated or actual cutaways of the interior of the various mattress and foundation choices. Seeing how each mattress is made can help you understand the differences.
- Consider service. Compare store services such as delivery, financing and removal of your old mattress.
- Weigh your investment. Consider the cost-per-day value of a mattress (you‘ll be on it 6-8 hours each day for about seven years) and buy the best you can afford. That is 1/3 of your life!
- Shop smart. Look for the best value, not the lowest price. Good deals are out there, but there is a direct relationship in the price of a mattress to its quality, so shop around and find the best quality sleep set that makes sense for you.