Choosing the Best Mattress
Simple Guide for Mattress Shopping
A mattress is a major purchase that can seem overwhelming to shop for. There are many mattress types and sizes of mattresses, so be prepared before you shop. Here’s a guide on how to select a mattress, including tips on mattress comparison shopping.
- Determine your budget and needs. Are you waking up with aches? Are you not sleeping well? Chances are you need a new mattress. Before you research your options, determine your budget and personal needs.
- Do your homework before you begin shopping. Research your options before you buy, choosing the mattress size and mattress type that will suit your individual needs. Think back to a time where you slept great at a hotel or friend’s house. Use that as your starting point to help narrow down choices.
- Choose the right type of store. Start with a store you trust. Furniture stores, department stores and sleep specialty shops all sell mattresses. Look for a retailer that provides you with the right information and attention. If you don’t know where to shop, ask friends and family for their suggestions.
- Utilize the Retail Sales Associates. Work with a knowledgeable salespeople who can guide you through your bedding choices. Ask questions and look for detailed explanations when needed. If you don’t feel your salesperson is knowledgeable or helpful, take your business elsewhere.
- Test-drive your new mattress. Once in the store, follow the S.L.E.E.P. test. Remove your shoes and lie down on several different models in various positions. (It’s best to go mattress-shopping in comfortable pants so you can move around.)
- Go the extra mile. During your test drive, be sure to spend extra time in the position you usually sleep in. It can take up to 15 minutes to relax enough to feel the true support of a mattress, so don’t rush it. The more time you take in a store, the less likely you’ll have buyer’s remorse later on.
Lastly, compare before you buy. Comparison shopping for mattresses can be difficult, but follow our tips to make sure you’re getting the best deal.
Back to Top